What could be better than hearing your song booming through stadium speakers at a major sporting event? Try having it broadcast to ESPN-viewing households across the nation. With the 2011 college football season winding down, the cable giant has commissioned urban-music heavyweight Nelly to create an anthem for their coverage of 33 bowl games airing through the remainder of 2011 and into January. The resulting record, The Champ is just as epic and sweeping as you’d expect. Here, producer Drew Money layers bubblegum-pop synths and heartstring-tugging piano arpeggios over a drumline-informed beat as the St. Louis native enters the headspace of a triumphant athlete. Reflecting upon the hard work that brought him to this point and the teammates who helped make it happen, he sings, “Everybody up, now we back down all my pain and sweat was for this moment right now / All from different places well we came with each other / We came together as a team, but we’re leaving as brothers.” This uplifting promo cut is available now for purchase on iTunes, and fans can keep it locked for the latest on Nelly’s forthcoming seventh album.
Written by richard on 12/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Throw Some D's (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.