What could be better than hearing your song booming through stadium speakers at a major sporting event? Try having it broadcast to ESPN-viewing households across the nation. With the 2011 college football season winding down, the cable giant has commissioned urban-music heavyweight Nelly to create an anthem for their coverage of 33 bowl games airing through the remainder of 2011 and into January. The resulting record, The Champ is just as epic and sweeping as you’d expect. Here, producer Drew Money layers bubblegum-pop synths and heartstring-tugging piano arpeggios over a drumline-informed beat as the St. Louis native enters the headspace of a triumphant athlete. Reflecting upon the hard work that brought him to this point and the teammates who helped make it happen, he sings, “Everybody up, now we back down all my pain and sweat was for this moment right now / All from different places well we came with each other / We came together as a team, but we’re leaving as brothers.” This uplifting promo cut is available now for purchase on iTunes, and fans can keep it locked for the latest on Nelly’s forthcoming seventh album.
Written by richard on 12/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Throw Some D's (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.