It’s a tragic fact of recent history that many of the most outspoken and influential proponents of civil rights were cut down before seeing their efforts bear fruit. On their first DJBooth.net feature, the lead single off their forthcoming EP, Polemikk and PA-Double of Swiss hip-hop duo Nefew pay tribute to these heroes, including Steve Biko, a South African activist whose work against apartheid ultimately led to his murder at the hands of five police officers. Backed by their own old-school, sampled production, Nefew reflect on the ongoing battle against prejudice and social injustice. Northeastern street veteran Consequence steps up to the mic on the back end to deliver an intricately allegorical guest verse, and R&B singer Chanj ties the track together with a soulful chorus, paraphrasing abolitionist Frederick Douglass’ famous quote, “If there is no struggle there is no progress…” For more smart, socially-conscious jams from Nefew, grab a copy of Homesick, scheduled to hit iTunes early next month.
Written by richard on 11/16/09
On Our Feet Entertainment
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Less Music" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)