Derived from the Latin root “valeo,” the adjective ”Validus” designates strength, ability, health and worthiness. According to Wikipedia, it also refers to a Fantastic Four supervillain who shoots electricity out of his exposed brain. Since I’ve never seen nor heard of Neako emitting lightning bolts from his cerebellum, though, I’ma assume that the title of this unreleased cut refers to the fact that the Jersey repper’s one of the few young guns worthy of spitting over a beat by the great J. Dilla—specifically, the smooth, Stylistics-sampled instrumental that backed The Shining inclusion Baby. The freestyle series alumnus’ mic work here certainly backs that claim up. Replacing original collaborators Madlib and Guilty Simpson, Neako laces the beat with line after line of effortlessly fresh braggadocio: “We bang threes, we forever ball / Like we wanna play for Georgetown and kill ‘em all… These n*ggas headaches and my flows laced with Tylenol.” Though Validus isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project, those digging it can find plenty more fresh Neako material on the artist’s Booth-sponsored LP: Tree mixtape; also, watch for new videos off the project to debut soon!
Written by richard on 07/14/11
LVLYSL / iHipHop Distribution
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm On It ft. Vertical Jones" (2009)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.