Nobody’s perfect – it’s just that some people are a little more imperfect than others. While Booth fave Neako‘s misdeeds are minor compared to what certain other artists have on their karmic rap sheet (Vanilla Ice, I’m looking at you), the Jersey native still has a couple things to get off his chest. On new mixtape single The Sinner, the freestyle series alumnus does just that, sparking up a joint before lacing his own haunting, reverb-drenched production (complete with delicate flute accompaniment by Fluterscooter) with a brutally honest litany of his past failings. In a mournful, chanted flow wreathed in distortion, Neako admits to several deep regrets, from dropping out of school before getting his degree, to deciding (with his then-girlfriend) to abort his baby daughter: “We both, made a choice / To this day, I hear her voice / Took a piece out my soul.” Heavy stuff to be sure, but the rare combo of stylistic innovation and deep emotion Neako brings to the cut makes Sinner a must-listen. For more dark, introspective material (along with some lighter fare), check out the artist’s Booth-sponsored The Sinner & the Winner, coming in March.
Written by richard on 02/8/11
Submit your Rating
LVLYSL / iHipHop Distribution
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm On It ft. Vertical Jones" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.