It’s official: Toronto emcee and reader favorite Drake has graduated to the big leagues. Why do I say that? Well, every great emcee has his sound-alikes, and Booth newcomer NeakO is, vocally, a dead ringer for the Degrassi graduate. With that out of the way, though, there’s a lot to like about the New Jersey native’s newly-released mixtape cut I’m On It, which finds him taking a left-of-center approach to one of rap’s favorite lyrical topics—though the verses revolve around Neak’s grind for currency, the artist’s backs his “Never chasin’ women ‘cause I’m steady chasin money” rhymes with an odd, spacey instrumental featuring industrial percussion flourishes, ambient synths, looped vocal samples, and… some type of siren (which is actually kind of unsettling at first). It’s a little unconventional, but with the help of Vertical Jones’ Autotuned hook, and NeakO’s relaxed flow, I’m On It should pique many listeners’ interest, and help build buzz for the 4/20 release of the emcee’s Green Lantern-hosted The Rubix Cube: Green Edition mixtape.
Written by richard on 04/15/09
Submit your Rating
LVLYSL / iHipHop Distribution
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pretty Girls" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.