It’s official: Toronto emcee and reader favorite Drake has graduated to the big leagues. Why do I say that? Well, every great emcee has his sound-alikes, and Booth newcomer NeakO is, vocally, a dead ringer for the Degrassi graduate. With that out of the way, though, there’s a lot to like about the New Jersey native’s newly-released mixtape cut I’m On It, which finds him taking a left-of-center approach to one of rap’s favorite lyrical topics—though the verses revolve around Neak’s grind for currency, the artist’s backs his “Never chasin’ women ‘cause I’m steady chasin money” rhymes with an odd, spacey instrumental featuring industrial percussion flourishes, ambient synths, looped vocal samples, and… some type of siren (which is actually kind of unsettling at first). It’s a little unconventional, but with the help of Vertical Jones’ Autotuned hook, and NeakO’s relaxed flow, I’m On It should pique many listeners’ interest, and help build buzz for the 4/20 release of the emcee’s Green Lantern-hosted The Rubix Cube: Green Edition mixtape.
Written by richard on 04/15/09
Submit your Rating
LVLYSL / iHipHop Distribution
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pretty Girls" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.