Neako‘s dentist would be proud – on his latest mixtape single, the Jersey-based emcee proudly announces that “Every day I been Flossin’.” I mean, I been flossin’twice a day for a while now… but still, it’s a damn good start! With that obvious (and terrible) joke out of the way, this joint is less a personal hygiene manifesto a la Del’s If You Must as it is a uniquely thoughtful grind anthem, with a side of weed rap. Here, the freestyle series alumnus’ dreamy yet ominous, brass-accented production sets the stage for bars jam-packed with ambitious braggadocio and weed talk, as well as a few more personal revelations – including some reflections on the way in which his father’s death influenced his hustle. The record’s guest muscle, Three 6 Mafia member Juicy J, doesn’t reach quite that level of emotional depth, but he does accomplish the notable feat of sending me running to Wikipedia with his very first line (“Diamonds shinin’ like glycerol…”). As ambitious as it is blunted, this cut is just one of many fresh tunes slated for inclusion on Neako’s LOUDpack: Tree [LP:TREE], due out later this week.
Written by richard on 04/26/11
Submit your Rating
LVLYSL / iHipHop Distribution
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm On It ft. Vertical Jones" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.