Some songs can be neatly summed up in just a few short sentences; Make It up-and-comer Neak‘s latest mixtape leak (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!) is definitely not one of them. Dear Sky finds the Windy City native putting a decidedly left-of-center spin on a oft-discussed lyrical theme: the relentless grind that comes with being an up-and-coming artist. The allusive, fragmentary rhymes in which Neak expresses his determination to take over the game are backed by some equally unconventional boardwork – frequent Bullet collaborator Slot-A delivers a beat that flouts expectations at every turn, from the twin intros to the double-time bridge. (By the way, can anyone I.D. the sample(s) for me?) The result is a track that may sound disjointed the first time around, but makes more sense with each repeat spin. Digging Neak’s cerebral style? You can hear more on the artist’s DJBooth.net-sponsored ‘84 Vol. 2 (The Silent Fiasco) mixtape, set to hit our front page March 2.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make It" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.