Some songs can be neatly summed up in just a few short sentences; Make It up-and-comer Neak‘s latest mixtape leak (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!) is definitely not one of them. Dear Sky finds the Windy City native putting a decidedly left-of-center spin on a oft-discussed lyrical theme: the relentless grind that comes with being an up-and-coming artist. The allusive, fragmentary rhymes in which Neak expresses his determination to take over the game are backed by some equally unconventional boardwork – frequent Bullet collaborator Slot-A delivers a beat that flouts expectations at every turn, from the twin intros to the double-time bridge. (By the way, can anyone I.D. the sample(s) for me?) The result is a track that may sound disjointed the first time around, but makes more sense with each repeat spin. Digging Neak’s cerebral style? You can hear more on the artist’s DJBooth.net-sponsored ‘84 Vol. 2 (The Silent Fiasco) mixtape, set to hit our front page March 2.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make It" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.