Some songs can be neatly summed up in just a few short sentences; Make It up-and-comer Neak‘s latest mixtape leak (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!) is definitely not one of them. Dear Sky finds the Windy City native putting a decidedly left-of-center spin on a oft-discussed lyrical theme: the relentless grind that comes with being an up-and-coming artist. The allusive, fragmentary rhymes in which Neak expresses his determination to take over the game are backed by some equally unconventional boardwork – frequent Bullet collaborator Slot-A delivers a beat that flouts expectations at every turn, from the twin intros to the double-time bridge. (By the way, can anyone I.D. the sample(s) for me?) The result is a track that may sound disjointed the first time around, but makes more sense with each repeat spin. Digging Neak’s cerebral style? You can hear more on the artist’s DJBooth.net-sponsored ‘84 Vol. 2 (The Silent Fiasco) mixtape, set to hit our front page March 2.
Written by richard on 02/18/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make It" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.