Some songs can be neatly summed up in just a few short sentences; Make It up-and-comer Neak‘s latest mixtape leak (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!) is definitely not one of them. Dear Sky finds the Windy City native putting a decidedly left-of-center spin on a oft-discussed lyrical theme: the relentless grind that comes with being an up-and-coming artist. The allusive, fragmentary rhymes in which Neak expresses his determination to take over the game are backed by some equally unconventional boardwork – frequent Bullet collaborator Slot-A delivers a beat that flouts expectations at every turn, from the twin intros to the double-time bridge. (By the way, can anyone I.D. the sample(s) for me?) The result is a track that may sound disjointed the first time around, but makes more sense with each repeat spin. Digging Neak’s cerebral style? You can hear more on the artist’s DJBooth.net-sponsored ‘84 Vol. 2 (The Silent Fiasco) mixtape, set to hit our front page March 2.
Written by richard on 02/18/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make It" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.