Just how fly is Naturel, the Northeastern up-and-comer previously heard on last year’s Say? Hmmm, what can I compare him to without sounding totally cliché... an airplane? A bird? A winged insect of the cyclorrhapha order? OK, I’m stumped—fortunately, the up-and-comer has a fresh simile pre-selected for his latest single: “I’m so fly, like I been gone off the Helium.” While it may be a slight letdown to learn that he doesn’t rap the whole record in sped-up Quasimoto style, that momentary disappointment will quickly fade as you start nodding your head along to !llmind and Symbolyc One‘s rumbling percussion, organ chords and synth blurts (with additional guitar by Dr. Know, JR.). Naturel comes with rhymes to match, illuminating his M.O. in bars packed with memorable turns of phrase: “Ain’t never had a rope chain, never have I ever had to peddle cocaine like a dope man—nope man, young’n had a plan, to get the game swingin’ off the wingtips…” Is this the kind of joint that’ll send Naturel’s career soaring to new heights like… um… a thing that soars? If so, keep it locked for news on the artist’s debut audio-visual opus, The Momentous, coming early next month.
Written by richard on 06/8/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.