Life Is Good when you’re The Don, but don’t get it twisted: while Nas is most definitely enjoying the view from the top, high-rollerdom hasn’t dulled his edge in the slightest. More than nine months after dazzling Booth readers with Nasty, street single numero uno off his next full-length, the legend is back with a a follow-up that shares its predecessor’s grimy, old-school informed yet forward-looking feel. Salaam Remi joins forces with Da Internz and the late, great Overweight Lover (“Though he’s moved on to another chapter / Heavy D gave this beat to Salaam for me to rap to.”) behind the boards, blending samples of dancehall stalwart SuperCat and Nas’ own The World Is Yours (Listen for the momentary beat switch in verse three) into a compulsively head-noddable groove as the emcee synthesizes his hard-knock past and luxurious present in verses at turns wistful, threatening and braggadocious. This is where I’d normally ask whether Esco killed it but, you know what? I think we all know the answer. Accordingly, you’ll want to keep your browsers locked to The DJBooth for the latest news and tunes leading up to the Northeastern icon’s tenth studio album - out July 17.
Written by richard on 04/28/12
Submit your Rating
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.