Life Is Good when you’re The Don, but don’t get it twisted: while Nas is most definitely enjoying the view from the top, high-rollerdom hasn’t dulled his edge in the slightest. More than nine months after dazzling Booth readers with Nasty, street single numero uno off his next full-length, the legend is back with a a follow-up that shares its predecessor’s grimy, old-school informed yet forward-looking feel. Salaam Remi joins forces with Da Internz and the late, great Overweight Lover (“Though he’s moved on to another chapter / Heavy D gave this beat to Salaam for me to rap to.”) behind the boards, blending samples of dancehall stalwart SuperCat and Nas’ own The World Is Yours (Listen for the momentary beat switch in verse three) into a compulsively head-noddable groove as the emcee synthesizes his hard-knock past and luxurious present in verses at turns wistful, threatening and braggadocious. This is where I’d normally ask whether Esco killed it but, you know what? I think we all know the answer. Accordingly, you’ll want to keep your browsers locked to The DJBooth for the latest news and tunes leading up to the Northeastern icon’s tenth studio album - out July 17.
Written by richard on 04/28/12
Submit your Rating
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.