Life Is Good when you’re The Don, but don’t get it twisted: while Nas is most definitely enjoying the view from the top, high-rollerdom hasn’t dulled his edge in the slightest. More than nine months after dazzling Booth readers with Nasty, street single numero uno off his next full-length, the legend is back with a a follow-up that shares its predecessor’s grimy, old-school informed yet forward-looking feel. Salaam Remi joins forces with Da Internz and the late, great Overweight Lover (“Though he’s moved on to another chapter / Heavy D gave this beat to Salaam for me to rap to.”) behind the boards, blending samples of dancehall stalwart SuperCat and Nas’ own The World Is Yours (Listen for the momentary beat switch in verse three) into a compulsively head-noddable groove as the emcee synthesizes his hard-knock past and luxurious present in verses at turns wistful, threatening and braggadocious. This is where I’d normally ask whether Esco killed it but, you know what? I think we all know the answer. Accordingly, you’ll want to keep your browsers locked to The DJBooth for the latest news and tunes leading up to the Northeastern icon’s tenth studio album - out July 17.
Written by richard on 04/28/12
In a way, it’s a compliment to say that a rapper’s fallen off. To have fallen, you must have once been at the top, and very few people can legitimately claim to have been the best in their profession, even if only for a...
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.