On an album that, like Nas‘s seminal debut set, is entirely made up of standout tracks, it’s inevitable that some joints won’t get the shine they deserve. For example, Represent, which never received official visuals or a single release despite its influence on the game. To celebrate the 20th Anniversary re-release of Illmatic, a contest was held to give the record the cinematic accompaniment it deserved, and today we are proud to present the winning entry. The work of an unknown director, the video mixes original footage of the Queensbridge legend (shot at the YouTube Space Los Angeles) with silents film-style clips and title cards. For Represent and the rest of the classic LP, along with numerous unreleased cuts and freestyles, cop Illmatic XX, out now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 07/15/14
Released by the Queensbridge rhymesayer in 1994, debut album Illmatic has gone down in history as one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time, and cemented Nas as one of the foremost lyricists of his generation. To...
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)