Though Nas’ recent material (including 08’s highly-acclaimed Untitled LP) has done nothing to damage his reputation as one of the finest spitters ever to pick up a mic, there are still many who remember the Queensbridge legend most fondly as the lyrically-bruising, fun-loving yet worldly-wise rap wunderkind with the “Nasty” in front of his name. If the title didn’t tip you off, the lead street single off Nas’ tenth studio album finds him channeling the precocious persona of his younger days—and the result is dope enough to elicit a wistful sigh from any longtime fan. Over a clattering, sample-packed beat by frequent collaborator Salaam Remi, the veteran emcee demonstrates that he can come just as fast and furious with the flows as he did in his beginning stages, interweaving tightly-wound braggadocio and fiery trash talk: “Any rebuttal to what I utter get box-cuttered / Count how many bad honeys I sl*t, it’s high number.” In a word, it’s…well… Nasty. Craving more flames from the seemingly-rejuvenated Nasir Jones? Then keep it locked for the latest on his Life Is Good LP, which has yet to receive a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 06/14/11
Submit your Rating
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.