Though Nas’ recent material (including 08’s highly-acclaimed Untitled LP) has done nothing to damage his reputation as one of the finest spitters ever to pick up a mic, there are still many who remember the Queensbridge legend most fondly as the lyrically-bruising, fun-loving yet worldly-wise rap wunderkind with the “Nasty” in front of his name. If the title didn’t tip you off, the lead street single off Nas’ tenth studio album finds him channeling the precocious persona of his younger days—and the result is dope enough to elicit a wistful sigh from any longtime fan. Over a clattering, sample-packed beat by frequent collaborator Salaam Remi, the veteran emcee demonstrates that he can come just as fast and furious with the flows as he did in his beginning stages, interweaving tightly-wound braggadocio and fiery trash talk: “Any rebuttal to what I utter get box-cuttered / Count how many bad honeys I sl*t, it’s high number.” In a word, it’s…well… Nasty. Craving more flames from the seemingly-rejuvenated Nasir Jones? Then keep it locked for the latest on his Life Is Good LP, which has yet to receive a solid drop date.
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.