As We Enter, the lead single off Nas & Damian Marley‘s long-awaited collaborative album, received overwhelmingly positive reader reviews when it hit our front page in late January, but a few remarked that another track off the project would have made an even better first impression. Previously leaked sans Nas’ closing bars but presented here in its finished form, album inclusion (but not a potential single) Strong Will Continue is an anthemic cut that simmers with slow-burning determination. Marley brings a reggae flavor to his verse and hook, but goes for a trendy fusion of rap and arena-rock on the production tip, blending street-ready piano loops and synth-strings with reverb-drenched electric-guitar riffs as Nas spits his own intricate brand of motivational lyricism, interweaving religious allusions with reflections on both the rewards and the unintended consequences of his lucrative hustle. Does Strong Will Continue have the edge over As We Enter? We report, you decide. Fans can find both records, and much more, on the East Coast icon and reggae heavyweight’s Distant Relatives LP, which has yet to receive a solid release date from the label brass.
Written by richard on 02/14/10
On September 14, 1973 Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones was born in Crown Heights, New York. On July 21, 1978, Damian “Junior Gong” Marley was born in Kingston, Jamaica. Although they grew up years and miles and worlds apart, Nas...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"As We Enter" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)