In the hands of nearly anyone else, a track titled Loco-Motive featuring some very locomotive-ish production would have come off corny, but in the hands of God’s Son, it’s nothing short of pure dopeness. As he continues to impress in the lead up to his Life Is Good album, Nas releases Loco-Motive, a kinetic cut fueled in large part by a No I.D. beat that manages to convey the propulsive feel of life on the rails without every deviating into that aforementioned corniness. For his part, I don’t know what’s fueling this late career resurgence, but Nasir is as nasty as ever on the mic, delivering sharply constructed lines in an unshakable flow: “I was a crook by the train with that iron thing, concealed, reach it / soon as I heard those iron wheels screechin.” Add in some hype man work from Large Professor and there’s only one word for Loco-Motive: goddamn. I know I’m not alone in saying the July 17 release of Life is Good is circled in red on my calendar. And frankly, if you love hip-hop, you should be feeling the same way.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/2/12
In a way, it’s a compliment to say that a rapper’s fallen off. To have fallen, you must have once been at the top, and very few people can legitimately claim to have been the best in their profession, even if only for a...
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.