In 1996, Nas dropped If I Ruled the World (Imagine That), the Lauryn Hill-featuring This Was Written single that became the now-legendary rapper’s first mainstream hit. With Nas’ current stature in the game, the song’s premise no longer requires such a stretch of the imagination, but still, there’s never a bad time to resurrect a hip-hop classic. Thus, the emcee’s joined forces with Smirnoff to kick off the popular vodka brand’s second annual Signature Mix Series with If I Ruled the World 09, a modern day revamp that serves as a lyrical sequel to the original. Floetry alumnus Marsha Ambrosius contributes a soulful bridge as well as tackling the Fugees icon’s hook, while Son’s of Light reinterprets Trackmasters Ent. and Rashad Smith‘s production, serving up a synth-centric beat featuring scratches by turntablist Brian Delaney. Coming up in the Signature Mix series are Buckshot and Kardinal Offishall‘s revamp of I Got Cha Opin, and a Funky for You update by Nice & Smooth and Pac Div.
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!