In 1996, Nas dropped If I Ruled the World (Imagine That), the Lauryn Hill-featuring This Was Written single that became the now-legendary rapper’s first mainstream hit. With Nas’ current stature in the game, the song’s premise no longer requires such a stretch of the imagination, but still, there’s never a bad time to resurrect a hip-hop classic. Thus, the emcee’s joined forces with Smirnoff to kick off the popular vodka brand’s second annual Signature Mix Series with If I Ruled the World 09, a modern day revamp that serves as a lyrical sequel to the original. Floetry alumnus Marsha Ambrosius contributes a soulful bridge as well as tackling the Fugees icon’s hook, while Son’s of Light reinterprets Trackmasters Ent. and Rashad Smith‘s production, serving up a synth-centric beat featuring scratches by turntablist Brian Delaney. Coming up in the Signature Mix series are Buckshot and Kardinal Offishall‘s revamp of I Got Cha Opin, and a Funky for You update by Nice & Smooth and Pac Div.
Written by richard on 03/5/09
Submit your Rating
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Adrian Lau - The Departed
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- Drake - 6 God EP
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.