In 1996, Nas dropped If I Ruled the World (Imagine That), the Lauryn Hill-featuring This Was Written single that became the now-legendary rapper’s first mainstream hit. With Nas’ current stature in the game, the song’s premise no longer requires such a stretch of the imagination, but still, there’s never a bad time to resurrect a hip-hop classic. Thus, the emcee’s joined forces with Smirnoff to kick off the popular vodka brand’s second annual Signature Mix Series with If I Ruled the World 09, a modern day revamp that serves as a lyrical sequel to the original. Floetry alumnus Marsha Ambrosius contributes a soulful bridge as well as tackling the Fugees icon’s hook, while Son’s of Light reinterprets Trackmasters Ent. and Rashad Smith‘s production, serving up a synth-centric beat featuring scratches by turntablist Brian Delaney. Coming up in the Signature Mix series are Buckshot and Kardinal Offishall‘s revamp of I Got Cha Opin, and a Funky for You update by Nice & Smooth and Pac Div.
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.