There are literally thousands of rap songs about dealing drugs, strippers and drug dealing strippers. But you’d be hard pressed to find more than a handful of songs dedicated to a rapper’s children, and even fewer dedicated to Daughters. Once again Nas has stepped into the spotlight of hip-hop history with his new single, and he’s brought along a fellow legend in the form of producer No I.D., who crafts one of his trademark beats for Nasir, layering drums, vocal samples and anything else he can get his hands onto to form a soulfully kinetic instrumental. But as always with God’s Son, the track’s power lies in its lyrics, and Daughters is one of the most honest and powerful chronicles of a father’s struggle to raise his child ever put on wax: “I realize I ain’t the strictest parent / I’m too loose, too cool with her / should of drove more times to school with her.” Thankfully this is just the beginning for Nas. The video to his previous single The Don, is set to drop tomorrow, April 26, followed by the release of his Life Is Good album on July 17. This one’s for all our brothers with daughters.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/26/12
In a way, it’s a compliment to say that a rapper’s fallen off. To have fallen, you must have once been at the top, and very few people can legitimately claim to have been the best in their profession, even if only for a...
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.