Since Nas is on record saying that his Life is Good album, and certainly the cover, is directly inspired by his acrimonious divorce with Kelis, we can just go ahead and assume that Bye Baby and its music video is pretty damn close to autobiographical, if not completely autobiographical. Super producer Salaam Remi and Drake’s resident boardsmitih Noah “40” Shebib join forces to create a lightly paced, heavily R&B influenced beat that sounds straight out of 1998 on the chorus. On the mic Nas once again displays his extraordinary storytelling skills, delving deep into the details of how a marriage between
a woman Kelis and a man
can go from storybook romance to bitter fights to some sort of resolution: “Bye baby I guess you know why I had to leave / seven months into your pregnancy, about to have my seed.” As if hip-hop nation needed any more incentive to purchase Nas’ Life is Good album, out now.
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!