Since Nas is on record saying that his Life is Good album, and certainly the cover, is directly inspired by his acrimonious divorce with Kelis, we can just go ahead and assume that Bye Baby and its music video is pretty damn close to autobiographical, if not completely autobiographical. Super producer Salaam Remi and Drake’s resident boardsmitih Noah “40” Shebib join forces to create a lightly paced, heavily R&B influenced beat that sounds straight out of 1998 on the chorus. On the mic Nas once again displays his extraordinary storytelling skills, delving deep into the details of how a marriage between
a woman Kelis and a man
can go from storybook romance to bitter fights to some sort of resolution: “Bye baby I guess you know why I had to leave / seven months into your pregnancy, about to have my seed.” As if hip-hop nation needed any more incentive to purchase Nas’ Life is Good album, out now.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/31/12
Submit your Rating
Ill Will/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Don't (Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.