Featured back in mid-January, Booth-premiered mixtape inclusion P.O.N. (Pursuit of Nappiness) found the Nappy Roots in a motivational mode, waxing philosophical about the value of hard work and persistence. Now, the Southern heavyweights have returned to bring us another dose of hard-won wisdom on Ride, the newly-released lead single off their forthcoming fourth album. Producer Phivestarr (subliminal message, anyone?) mans the boards on this wistfully mellow track, serving up a a laid-back, subtly catchy acoustic-guitar/string instrumental as Skinny Deville, Fish Scales, B. Stille, Big V and Ron Clutch reflect on life’s hardships, as well as delivering a complimentary lesson on musical integrity: “I do this for the love / you can throw the fame out.” For more head-nodding grooves and deep thoughts from the only rap group who can make a Stanky Legg reference sound intelligent, pick up a copy of their Pursuit of Nappyness LP when it hits stores on 4/20 (which, conveniently, actually falls on a Tuesday this year).
Written by richard on 02/4/10
Submit your Rating
Nappy Roots Ent Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who Got It Where's It At" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.