At first blush, Pete Rose doesn’t seem like an obvious role model for a hip-hopper. But think about it: the man came up through hard work and dedication, made hits like a motherf*cker and he was willing to “bet it all”—literally—to get his paper up. Of course, when you’re a dark-skinned inner-city dweller trying to make an illicit buck it means risking much more than your right to enjoy an afternoon in the ballpark. A newly-leaked standout cut off the Nappy Roots’ forthcoming full-length, the Southern mainstays use the infamous baseball legend as a springboard for rhymes about socioeconomic injustice. Backed by Organized Noize‘s slow-rolling low-frequency grooves, Skinny DeVille, B. Stille, Ron Clutch, Big V and Fish Scales and illustrious guest Khujo Goodie depart from your typical hustle talk, lacing their bars with pointed observation on race relations in America: “South on the edge / Tired of ‘Kill Obama’ everywhere I piss.” “Three quarters of my neighborhood still packed in the pen / I swear the justice system’s set up to target black men.” Digging this thought-provoking street banger? More hard-hitting cuts await on the Nappy Roots’ NappyDotOrg LP, set to hit record stores and online retailers Oct. 11.
Written by richard on 10/9/11
Submit your Rating
Nappy Roots Ent Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who Got It Where's It At" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.