How did Funk Volume signee Jarren Benton end up on a record with Kentucky underground mainstays Nappy Roots? To be quite honest, I have No Idea. Regardless, we can all be glad that it did happen, because this new single is some damn fine Southern hip-hop. Backed by the grimy piano-loop boardwork of SMKA (who produce the whole project), Skinny DeVille, B. Stille, Ron Clutch and Fish Scales take a break from the introspective lyricism of previous features to simply go H.A.M. on the mic. Needless to say, Benton’s unhinged rhyme style sounds right at home amid his collaborators’ aggressive, deftly-flowed bars. The 40 Akerz Project has yet to receive a drop date; keep it locked for release details on the set, as well as all the latest singles.
Written by richard on 06/17/14
Submit your Rating
Nappy Roots Ent Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who Got It Where's It At" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.