How did Funk Volume signee Jarren Benton end up on a record with Kentucky underground mainstays Nappy Roots? To be quite honest, I have No Idea. Regardless, we can all be glad that it did happen, because this new single is some damn fine Southern hip-hop. Backed by the grimy piano-loop boardwork of SMKA (who produce the whole project), Skinny DeVille, B. Stille, Ron Clutch and Fish Scales take a break from the introspective lyricism of previous features to simply go H.A.M. on the mic. Needless to say, Benton’s unhinged rhyme style sounds right at home amid his collaborators’ aggressive, deftly-flowed bars. The 40 Akerz Project has yet to receive a drop date; keep it locked for release details on the set, as well as all the latest singles.
Written by richard on 06/17/14
Submit your Rating
Nappy Roots Ent Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who Got It Where's It At" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.