How did Funk Volume signee Jarren Benton end up on a record with Kentucky underground mainstays Nappy Roots? To be quite honest, I have No Idea. Regardless, we can all be glad that it did happen, because this new single is some damn fine Southern hip-hop. Backed by the grimy piano-loop boardwork of SMKA (who produce the whole project), Skinny DeVille, B. Stille, Ron Clutch and Fish Scales take a break from the introspective lyricism of previous features to simply go H.A.M. on the mic. Needless to say, Benton’s unhinged rhyme style sounds right at home amid his collaborators’ aggressive, deftly-flowed bars. The 40 Akerz Project has yet to receive a drop date; keep it locked for release details on the set, as well as all the latest singles.
Written by richard on 06/17/14
Submit your Rating
Nappy Roots Ent Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who Got It Where's It At" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.