While many hip-hoppers have to guard themselves at all times against the corrupting effects of fame and fortune, the Nappy Roots seem to have humility and gratitude flowing through their veins; whether it’s due to the Kentucky crew’s Southern upbringing, their religious faith or simply the accumulated wisdom of years, every record they put out attests to their uncanny ability to keep the game in perspective. No exception to this rule, the lead single off the Roots’ fifth LP finds Skinny Deville, B. Stille, Ron Clutch, Big V. and Fish Scales offering their Congratulations to fans for sticking with them through good times and bad. Over Organized Noize‘s wistful, string-laced instrumental, the group look back on their rise from poverty and struggle to national acclaim, even giving thanks for the tough periods that made their successes sweeter: “To everyone I know who ever came to a show, I kinda liked bein’ poor, ‘cause that’s how I met you.” Like what you’re hearing? Then keep it locked for the latest tunes leading up to the September release of Nappy Dot Org.
Written by richard on 07/13/11
Submit your Rating
Nappy Roots Ent Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who Got It Where's It At" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.