As I type these words, it’s 1:22 in the afternoon, but according to my computer clock, which is set on EST to correspond to DJBooth.net’s official schedule, it’s 2:22. If you’re reading this, however, it’s likely quite a bit later in the evening—unless you’re in a completely different time zone, or you’re simply enjoying a leisurely scroll through the Booth archives at some unspecified point in the future. In any case, none of that makes the slightest bit of difference to a certain reader-acclaimed, Kentucky-based rap quintet—as far as Fish Scales, Skinny DeVille, B. Stille, Ron Clutch, and Big V are concerned, it’s always time for the Nappy Roots to “get it.” Personally delivered to our inbox by Scales, Booth-exclusive cut 123 finds the Roots showing and telling exactly why they’re known as Southern hip-hop legends over a hard-hitting, gunshot-fortified instrumental by Slick (of Slickbeatz). With a larger-than-life sound and plenty of outsized braggadocio to match, 123 won’t disappoint the group’s many devotees, and the “Booth-exclusive” stamp of approval only makes this Southern banger all the sweeter.
Nappy Roots Ent Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who Got It Where's It At" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.