First things first: who read the title U Oughta Know and expected an Alanis Morrisette sample? Fortunately (for me, anyways—husky-voiced angry girl music isn’t my favorite genre), Naledge’s latest feature isn’t based on the hook from that famous David Coulier kiss-off, but rather revolves around a sped-up sample from Billy Joel’s hit working-class lament, Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song). Unfortunately, that sample is the reason this record won’t be on the tracklist of the Kidz in the Hall hip-hopster’s forthcoming Chicago Picasso mixtape—I’ll save you the rant on intellectual property law and simply say that it’s a damned shame, because this unreleased cut has a lot going for it. The singer’s propulsive piano riff and the memorable “Cadillac-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack” hook prove even more insanely catchy in Chipmunk speed, and Naledge comes with energy to match Bird!‘s driving boardwork, detailing his musical ambitions in three bouncy, brag-heavy verses. The rapper’s commitment to movin’ up in the game is plain as day here, and, despite not appearing on Chicago Picasso, this cut is sure to raise fan anticipation for the street album’s June 30th release.
Written by richard on 06/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Marry You ft. Naledge (of Kidz in the Hall)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.