First things first: who read the title U Oughta Know and expected an Alanis Morrisette sample? Fortunately (for me, anyways—husky-voiced angry girl music isn’t my favorite genre), Naledge’s latest feature isn’t based on the hook from that famous David Coulier kiss-off, but rather revolves around a sped-up sample from Billy Joel’s hit working-class lament, Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song). Unfortunately, that sample is the reason this record won’t be on the tracklist of the Kidz in the Hall hip-hopster’s forthcoming Chicago Picasso mixtape—I’ll save you the rant on intellectual property law and simply say that it’s a damned shame, because this unreleased cut has a lot going for it. The singer’s propulsive piano riff and the memorable “Cadillac-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack” hook prove even more insanely catchy in Chipmunk speed, and Naledge comes with energy to match Bird!‘s driving boardwork, detailing his musical ambitions in three bouncy, brag-heavy verses. The rapper’s commitment to movin’ up in the game is plain as day here, and, despite not appearing on Chicago Picasso, this cut is sure to raise fan anticipation for the street album’s June 30th release.
Written by richard on 06/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Marry You ft. Naledge (of Kidz in the Hall)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.