Another day in rap means another ode to New York City, but considering the Big Apple literally birthed the culture we all love, can we ever have too many? Never, especially because listening to rappers describe their hometown is like listening to an unofficial visitor’s guide. For today’s feature, Najee The 1 drops off a world premiere in The DJBooth, and since he lived in 18 foster homes throughout NYC, you can assume he knows every street. The previously unreleased track, recorded back at DD172, is a tribute to the city in its entirety and not just one borough that finds legendary producer Ski Beatz constructing a jazzy and soulful sound that also samples the equally legendary and recently passed Gil Scott-Heron. Fans who copped Najee The 1’s Settle For Greatness EP might find themselves surprised by this track’s sound, but you know what they say: you can take the napper out of NYC, but you can’t take the NYC out of Najee The 1.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 10/25/12
Submit your Rating
Hit Me Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Destined To Be" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.