Another day in rap means another ode to New York City, but considering the Big Apple literally birthed the culture we all love, can we ever have too many? Never, especially because listening to rappers describe their hometown is like listening to an unofficial visitor’s guide. For today’s feature, Najee The 1 drops off a world premiere in The DJBooth, and since he lived in 18 foster homes throughout NYC, you can assume he knows every street. The previously unreleased track, recorded back at DD172, is a tribute to the city in its entirety and not just one borough that finds legendary producer Ski Beatz constructing a jazzy and soulful sound that also samples the equally legendary and recently passed Gil Scott-Heron. Fans who copped Najee The 1’s Settle For Greatness EP might find themselves surprised by this track’s sound, but you know what they say: you can take the napper out of NYC, but you can’t take the NYC out of Najee The 1.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 10/25/12
Hit Me Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Destined To Be" (2011)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.