Booth newcomer Naj Murph would be the last emcee to glorify gunplay—the Atlanta-by-way-of-Newburgh, N.Y. rhymesayer prides himself on his social consciousness, and strives to be a “role model” to inner-city youth—but that doesn’t mean he shies away from committing murder on the mic. Quite the contrary; on mixtape standout Let’s Get Violent, the up-and-comer follows his own advice, unloading his most devastating lyrical ammunition over Brandon Phillips-Taylor‘s syncopated breakbeat and stuttering synths (complemented with contextually-appropriate samples and… is that a didgeridoo in the background?). In between displays of lyrical aggression (“Tell me how many legs you can walk without…”) and braggadocious one liners, Naj offers a little on-point political commentary, notably taking a shot at a certain infamous ex-contender for the Republican Presidential nomination: “Still crippled by a hurricane, and they want us to walk with a Herman Cain? / Damn, I guess the sermon changed; it’s a shame young n*ggas can’t learn to change.” Time to weigh in, Booth readers: did Murph kill this one? If you think so, more bone-shattering bangers await on the artist’s Heir Murph mixtape, released in November and available now online.
Written by richard on 12/19/11
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)