Booth newcomer Naj Murph would be the last emcee to glorify gunplay—the Atlanta-by-way-of-Newburgh, N.Y. rhymesayer prides himself on his social consciousness, and strives to be a “role model” to inner-city youth—but that doesn’t mean he shies away from committing murder on the mic. Quite the contrary; on mixtape standout Let’s Get Violent, the up-and-comer follows his own advice, unloading his most devastating lyrical ammunition over Brandon Phillips-Taylor‘s syncopated breakbeat and stuttering synths (complemented with contextually-appropriate samples and… is that a didgeridoo in the background?). In between displays of lyrical aggression (“Tell me how many legs you can walk without…”) and braggadocious one liners, Naj offers a little on-point political commentary, notably taking a shot at a certain infamous ex-contender for the Republican Presidential nomination: “Still crippled by a hurricane, and they want us to walk with a Herman Cain? / Damn, I guess the sermon changed; it’s a shame young n*ggas can’t learn to change.” Time to weigh in, Booth readers: did Murph kill this one? If you think so, more bone-shattering bangers await on the artist’s Heir Murph mixtape, released in November and available now online.
Written by richard on 12/19/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.