Hardly a hip-hop head among us hasn’t watched in dismay as a favorite rapper reported to the slammer, wondering what the f**k the artist in question was thinking to get himself involved in that kind of Bullsh*t. A New Orleans mainstay whose story happens to epitomize this phenomenon, Mystikal offers an anti-climatic, but unsurprising answer to that very question: he wasn’t thinking—at all. Released just as the YMCMB signee returns to jail to serve a three-month sentence on domestic abuse charges, this record finds KLC crafting a brass-sampled backdrop for some brutal self-analysis (”Get your sh*t together; n*gga get your mind right.”), as well as a little bit of self-pity (“Every n*gga in here smarter than Albert Einstein in hindsight.”). Personally, I find it hard to accept a simple “My bad” in response to a domestic abuse charge—especially in light of Mystikal’s legal history—but this shamefaced selection seems to indicate that the rapper’s learned his lesson. At least, I really, really hope so. Whatever the case, the July 30, release of new mixtape Origins should be just the thing to tide fans over till the emcee returns from his sentence and kicks his comeback into high gear this August.
Written by richard on 05/14/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.