Hardly a hip-hop head among us hasn’t watched in dismay as a favorite rapper reported to the slammer, wondering what the f**k the artist in question was thinking to get himself involved in that kind of Bullsh*t. A New Orleans mainstay whose story happens to epitomize this phenomenon, Mystikal offers an anti-climatic, but unsurprising answer to that very question: he wasn’t thinking—at all. Released just as the YMCMB signee returns to jail to serve a three-month sentence on domestic abuse charges, this record finds KLC crafting a brass-sampled backdrop for some brutal self-analysis (”Get your sh*t together; n*gga get your mind right.”), as well as a little bit of self-pity (“Every n*gga in here smarter than Albert Einstein in hindsight.”). Personally, I find it hard to accept a simple “My bad” in response to a domestic abuse charge—especially in light of Mystikal’s legal history—but this shamefaced selection seems to indicate that the rapper’s learned his lesson. At least, I really, really hope so. Whatever the case, the July 30, release of new mixtape Origins should be just the thing to tide fans over till the emcee returns from his sentence and kicks his comeback into high gear this August.
Written by richard on 05/14/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)