Muzi never seems to get a break on the romantic tip—though it was just this past July that we heard him venting his post-breakup regrets on the quietly anguished Secret Song, the ATL crooner’s already struggling to extricate himself from another doomed love on his latest effort. Making its world premiere on our front page, Time [Frost] finds Shoden!1 once again handling production duties; over his frequent collaborator’s haunting blend of ambient synths and ghostly backing vocals, borrowed from a cut by Witch-house (Yes, that is apparently a real genre) ensemble SALEM, Muzi informs his soon-to-be-ex that, no matter what she says or does, there’s no repairing their relationship: “We can argue, I can fuss at and you can fuss back, hit me, scream and tell me to get the f*ck back… but that won’t change the fact that we’re over.” As poignant and atmospheric as anything we’ve heard from the rising star, this record is sure to earn heavy rotation from fans of moody R&B sounds. Though Time isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those who haven’t copped it already can hear more on Muzi’s Booth-sponsored debut mix-album, Somnolence, available here for streaming and download.
Written by richard on 11/29/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dear Heartbeat" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.