It goes without saying that, if you’re trying to keep something under wraps, recording a song about it, releasing it as part of a mixtape on DJBooth.net, and then proceeding to leak the record for those who haven’t checked out the project, is not the ideal way to do it. Unless, of course, your secret is the kind that’s only a secret to the person it concerns—then it can be pretty damn cathartic to spill your guts, with relative anonymity, in front of the world. Such is the case for Muzi, who addresses his Secret Song to a woman who recently walked out of his life. As usual, Shoden!1 takes a fresh and innovative approach behind the boards, weaving ambient synth-strings, delayed synth notes and understated percussion into a warm blanket of sound as Muzi tells us what he wishes he could tell the girl in question: “Now I know, I never should have have let you go. / I’m so alone, I never should have let you go…” If this poignant jam strikes a chord with you, more heartfelt, innovative R&B goodness awaits on Muzi’s Booth-sponsored Somnolence mixtape, available here for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 07/18/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dear Heartbeat" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)