It goes without saying that, if you’re trying to keep something under wraps, recording a song about it, releasing it as part of a mixtape on DJBooth.net, and then proceeding to leak the record for those who haven’t checked out the project, is not the ideal way to do it. Unless, of course, your secret is the kind that’s only a secret to the person it concerns—then it can be pretty damn cathartic to spill your guts, with relative anonymity, in front of the world. Such is the case for Muzi, who addresses his Secret Song to a woman who recently walked out of his life. As usual, Shoden!1 takes a fresh and innovative approach behind the boards, weaving ambient synth-strings, delayed synth notes and understated percussion into a warm blanket of sound as Muzi tells us what he wishes he could tell the girl in question: “Now I know, I never should have have let you go. / I’m so alone, I never should have let you go…” If this poignant jam strikes a chord with you, more heartfelt, innovative R&B goodness awaits on Muzi’s Booth-sponsored Somnolence mixtape, available here for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 07/18/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dear Heartbeat" (2011)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.