It goes without saying that, if you’re trying to keep something under wraps, recording a song about it, releasing it as part of a mixtape on DJBooth.net, and then proceeding to leak the record for those who haven’t checked out the project, is not the ideal way to do it. Unless, of course, your secret is the kind that’s only a secret to the person it concerns—then it can be pretty damn cathartic to spill your guts, with relative anonymity, in front of the world. Such is the case for Muzi, who addresses his Secret Song to a woman who recently walked out of his life. As usual, Shoden!1 takes a fresh and innovative approach behind the boards, weaving ambient synth-strings, delayed synth notes and understated percussion into a warm blanket of sound as Muzi tells us what he wishes he could tell the girl in question: “Now I know, I never should have have let you go. / I’m so alone, I never should have let you go…” If this poignant jam strikes a chord with you, more heartfelt, innovative R&B goodness awaits on Muzi’s Booth-sponsored Somnolence mixtape, available here for free streaming and download.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dear Heartbeat" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.