It goes without saying that, if you’re trying to keep something under wraps, recording a song about it, releasing it as part of a mixtape on DJBooth.net, and then proceeding to leak the record for those who haven’t checked out the project, is not the ideal way to do it. Unless, of course, your secret is the kind that’s only a secret to the person it concerns—then it can be pretty damn cathartic to spill your guts, with relative anonymity, in front of the world. Such is the case for Muzi, who addresses his Secret Song to a woman who recently walked out of his life. As usual, Shoden!1 takes a fresh and innovative approach behind the boards, weaving ambient synth-strings, delayed synth notes and understated percussion into a warm blanket of sound as Muzi tells us what he wishes he could tell the girl in question: “Now I know, I never should have have let you go. / I’m so alone, I never should have let you go…” If this poignant jam strikes a chord with you, more heartfelt, innovative R&B goodness awaits on Muzi’s Booth-sponsored Somnolence mixtape, available here for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 07/18/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dear Heartbeat" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.