On Superhuman, the last featured song release off Muzi‘s sophomore set, a budding romance had the singer feeling like he could accomplish anything he set his mind to. As dope (figuratively and literally) as that neurochemical high undoubtedly is, the other shoe is almost guaranteed to drop eventually—as it does on his latest effort, Cardiac Kid. Making its world premiere in the Booth, this deceptively mellow joint finds the ATL innovator narrating how a promising relationship came crashing down to earth, carrying his faith in “this thing called love” with it. Or that’s my take on it—Muzi goes for poetry over straight-up narrative, leaving plenty of room for interpretation: “It’s all coming back to me, this Cardiac Kid ain’t winnin’ / The hands on the clock are ticking, the fairy tale’s ending.” Whether or not you care to unravel the story being told, his emotionally-fraught vocals, interweaved with Shoden!1 and Tony Reyes’ dreamy acoustic/electronic production, make for a fresh, ear-pleasing listen. Somnolence Vol. II is scheduled for release later this spring; in the meantime, fans can still stream and download its DJBooth-sponsored predecessor for free from our mixtape.page.
Written by richard on 04/3/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dear Heartbeat" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.