On Superhuman, the last featured song release off Muzi‘s sophomore set, a budding romance had the singer feeling like he could accomplish anything he set his mind to. As dope (figuratively and literally) as that neurochemical high undoubtedly is, the other shoe is almost guaranteed to drop eventually—as it does on his latest effort, Cardiac Kid. Making its world premiere in the Booth, this deceptively mellow joint finds the ATL innovator narrating how a promising relationship came crashing down to earth, carrying his faith in “this thing called love” with it. Or that’s my take on it—Muzi goes for poetry over straight-up narrative, leaving plenty of room for interpretation: “It’s all coming back to me, this Cardiac Kid ain’t winnin’ / The hands on the clock are ticking, the fairy tale’s ending.” Whether or not you care to unravel the story being told, his emotionally-fraught vocals, interweaved with Shoden!1 and Tony Reyes’ dreamy acoustic/electronic production, make for a fresh, ear-pleasing listen. Somnolence Vol. II is scheduled for release later this spring; in the meantime, fans can still stream and download its DJBooth-sponsored predecessor for free from our mixtape.page.
Written by richard on 04/3/12
Last July, we introduced the world to Atlanta buzzmaker Muzi and his free album Somnolence. Now, a little more than a year later, we are re-introducing the singer/songwriter with sequel project Somnolence Vol. II. Produced...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dear Heartbeat" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.