On Superhuman, the last featured song release off Muzi‘s sophomore set, a budding romance had the singer feeling like he could accomplish anything he set his mind to. As dope (figuratively and literally) as that neurochemical high undoubtedly is, the other shoe is almost guaranteed to drop eventually—as it does on his latest effort, Cardiac Kid. Making its world premiere in the Booth, this deceptively mellow joint finds the ATL innovator narrating how a promising relationship came crashing down to earth, carrying his faith in “this thing called love” with it. Or that’s my take on it—Muzi goes for poetry over straight-up narrative, leaving plenty of room for interpretation: “It’s all coming back to me, this Cardiac Kid ain’t winnin’ / The hands on the clock are ticking, the fairy tale’s ending.” Whether or not you care to unravel the story being told, his emotionally-fraught vocals, interweaved with Shoden!1 and Tony Reyes’ dreamy acoustic/electronic production, make for a fresh, ear-pleasing listen. Somnolence Vol. II is scheduled for release later this spring; in the meantime, fans can still stream and download its DJBooth-sponsored predecessor for free from our mixtape.page.
Written by richard on 04/3/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dear Heartbeat" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.