As you begin to hear those familiar piano chords, you might assume that Philly native Musiq Soulchild decided to remix his old single Teach Me. On his newest single, If You Leave, the neo-soul veteran vents his frustrations with the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul, Mary J. Blige. Over a wonderfully simple, yet effective melody brought to you by Carvin & Ivan (of Karmui Productions), Musiq opens up to his woman, letting her know that even without her, he’ll still be around, because love is forever. Soulfully strong still, Blige gives a fiery performance, proclaiming Musiq “arrogant” and “full of it” as she asks for her partner to give it a try. A beautiful song with huge single potential, this musical matrimony could last a lifetime.
Written by Kevin L. Clark on 09/21/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.