As you begin to hear those familiar piano chords, you might assume that Philly native Musiq Soulchild decided to remix his old single Teach Me. On his newest single, If You Leave, the neo-soul veteran vents his frustrations with the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul, Mary J. Blige. Over a wonderfully simple, yet effective melody brought to you by Carvin & Ivan (of Karmui Productions), Musiq opens up to his woman, letting her know that even without her, he’ll still be around, because love is forever. Soulfully strong still, Blige gives a fiery performance, proclaiming Musiq “arrogant” and “full of it” as she asks for her partner to give it a try. A beautiful song with huge single potential, this musical matrimony could last a lifetime.
Written by Kevin L. Clark on 09/21/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.