Do fame and fortune inevitably change a person? Beats me! Since I’ve yet to win the lotto or write that Great American Novel (I’m going to get around to it, I swear!), I’m going to have to take MURS at his word when he states that, contrary to what haters may claim, he’s still just “Doing Me.” On this newly-released cut, the Los Angeles emcee takes a lyrical stroll down Memory Lane, giving listeners a glimpse into his years as an unconventionally dope, saxophone-playing “square peg” coming up in the hood, and makes clear that, though he’s come a long way towards realizing his dreams, he remains true to his roots. The rapper’s nostalgic lyricism is backed by the mellow boardwork of Melrose collaborator and fellow L.A. native Terrace Martin, whose laid-back, synth-driven beat drips with West Coast style. Complete with the smooth hook vocals of R&B up-and-comer J. Black, the track is as refreshing as a cool Cali breeze, and should be just the thing to raise fan anticipation for MURS’ and Martin’s forthcoming collaborative LP.
Written by richard on 04/30/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Better Than The Best" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.