Do fame and fortune inevitably change a person? Beats me! Since I’ve yet to win the lotto or write that Great American Novel (I’m going to get around to it, I swear!), I’m going to have to take MURS at his word when he states that, contrary to what haters may claim, he’s still just “Doing Me.” On this newly-released cut, the Los Angeles emcee takes a lyrical stroll down Memory Lane, giving listeners a glimpse into his years as an unconventionally dope, saxophone-playing “square peg” coming up in the hood, and makes clear that, though he’s come a long way towards realizing his dreams, he remains true to his roots. The rapper’s nostalgic lyricism is backed by the mellow boardwork of Melrose collaborator and fellow L.A. native Terrace Martin, whose laid-back, synth-driven beat drips with West Coast style. Complete with the smooth hook vocals of R&B up-and-comer J. Black, the track is as refreshing as a cool Cali breeze, and should be just the thing to raise fan anticipation for MURS’ and Martin’s forthcoming collaborative LP.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Better Than The Best" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.