Do fame and fortune inevitably change a person? Beats me! Since I’ve yet to win the lotto or write that Great American Novel (I’m going to get around to it, I swear!), I’m going to have to take MURS at his word when he states that, contrary to what haters may claim, he’s still just “Doing Me.” On this newly-released cut, the Los Angeles emcee takes a lyrical stroll down Memory Lane, giving listeners a glimpse into his years as an unconventionally dope, saxophone-playing “square peg” coming up in the hood, and makes clear that, though he’s come a long way towards realizing his dreams, he remains true to his roots. The rapper’s nostalgic lyricism is backed by the mellow boardwork of Melrose collaborator and fellow L.A. native Terrace Martin, whose laid-back, synth-driven beat drips with West Coast style. Complete with the smooth hook vocals of R&B up-and-comer J. Black, the track is as refreshing as a cool Cali breeze, and should be just the thing to raise fan anticipation for MURS’ and Martin’s forthcoming collaborative LP.
Written by richard on 04/30/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Better Than The Best" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.