UPDATE: Click “Watch Video” for the brand new visuals to This Generation.
With forthcoming collaborative album This Generation Fashawn and MURS have set themselves quite the challenge: to boil the current moment in West Coast hip-hop down to a single LP’s worth of music. Not only do the twosome feel confident in their ability to achieve that goal, however, but they’ve set the bar yet higher by attempting to condense the album’s expansive message into a three-and-a-half-minute title track. How did they fare? Pretty damn well, by my lights. Project collaborators K-Salaam & Beatnick keep it simple and elegant on the production tip, cooking up an atmospheric Caribbean-soul backdrop as the underground rhymesayers wind their lyrical way around our zeitgeist, looking back on their own artistic development and pondering whether today’s youth will be able to resolve the lingering contradictions of the Reagan Era. Singer Adrian guests, contributing his reverb-drenched vocals to the hook. Fans will be able to find this record, lead single Flash Gordon and much more on This Generation (the album), scheduled for release September 25, via Duck Down.
Written by richard on 09/25/12
Submit your Rating
Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Slash Gordan" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.