Just in case you never got the memo, MURS can no longer be called an indie rapper. The LA emcee, who up to last year had paved a prodigious career by eating, sleeping, and breathing indie, is now a proud member of (gasp!) Warner Bros. Records. Thankfully, “The Man” has thus far avoided dulling his trademark edge. Murs’ new single, Can It Be, is a scathing critique on everything from fair weather hip-hop fans to the recession. Lyrically, he changes topics so quickly that it almost comes off as stream-of-consciousness. Producer Scoop Deville adds a little vintage Michael Jackson to the mix, sampling I Wanna Be Where You Are in the beat and on the hook. Can It Be will appear on MURS’ major label debut, MURS For President (Sep. 30).
Written by Charlie E. on 08/13/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Better Than The Best" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)