Just in case you never got the memo, MURS can no longer be called an indie rapper. The LA emcee, who up to last year had paved a prodigious career by eating, sleeping, and breathing indie, is now a proud member of (gasp!) Warner Bros. Records. Thankfully, “The Man” has thus far avoided dulling his trademark edge. Murs’ new single, Can It Be, is a scathing critique on everything from fair weather hip-hop fans to the recession. Lyrically, he changes topics so quickly that it almost comes off as stream-of-consciousness. Producer Scoop Deville adds a little vintage Michael Jackson to the mix, sampling I Wanna Be Where You Are in the beat and on the hook. Can It Be will appear on MURS’ major label debut, MURS For President (Sep. 30).
Listen to More: MURS
Written by Charlie E. on 08/13/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Better Than The Best" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.