Just in case you never got the memo, MURS can no longer be called an indie rapper. The LA emcee, who up to last year had paved a prodigious career by eating, sleeping, and breathing indie, is now a proud member of (gasp!) Warner Bros. Records. Thankfully, “The Man” has thus far avoided dulling his trademark edge. Murs’ new single, Can It Be, is a scathing critique on everything from fair weather hip-hop fans to the recession. Lyrically, he changes topics so quickly that it almost comes off as stream-of-consciousness. Producer Scoop Deville adds a little vintage Michael Jackson to the mix, sampling I Wanna Be Where You Are in the beat and on the hook. Can It Be will appear on MURS’ major label debut, MURS For President (Sep. 30).
Listen to More: MURS
Written by Charlie E. on 08/13/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Better Than The Best" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.