Fame, fortune, and critical acclaim are all well and good, but a parent’s approval often means more than a stadium filled with screaming fans. Making its world premiere on this very site, the latest leak off Muggsy Malone‘s forthcoming, DJBooth.net-sponsored mixtape finds the DMV up-and-comer paying tribute to the one person whose opinion matters most to him: his mother, Della A. Jackson. Though she passed away in ‘91, the emcee knows that she’s watching him from above, just like a Guardian Angel. Backed by Bigg Vic‘s subdued guitar/piano-loop beat, the artist spits bars brimming with vivid detail (how many other emcees could make shoe-tying sound this interesting?), even managing to incorporate some witty wordplay (“Feelin’ like an AIDS test, better if I’m negative/ I’m hyper while I’m broke, so the cheddar’s like a sedative.”) without undercutting the track’s seriousness. Topped off with a soulful hook by Mary Brown, Guardian Angel is a heartfelt tribute that would make any mother proud. Malone’s latest mixtape, The Parkway Kid, is set to drop Nov. 21. In the meantime, keep it locked to our front page for one more world premiere!
Written by richard on 09/28/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.