Fame, fortune, and critical acclaim are all well and good, but a parent’s approval often means more than a stadium filled with screaming fans. Making its world premiere on this very site, the latest leak off Muggsy Malone‘s forthcoming, DJBooth.net-sponsored mixtape finds the DMV up-and-comer paying tribute to the one person whose opinion matters most to him: his mother, Della A. Jackson. Though she passed away in ‘91, the emcee knows that she’s watching him from above, just like a Guardian Angel. Backed by Bigg Vic‘s subdued guitar/piano-loop beat, the artist spits bars brimming with vivid detail (how many other emcees could make shoe-tying sound this interesting?), even managing to incorporate some witty wordplay (“Feelin’ like an AIDS test, better if I’m negative/ I’m hyper while I’m broke, so the cheddar’s like a sedative.”) without undercutting the track’s seriousness. Topped off with a soulful hook by Mary Brown, Guardian Angel is a heartfelt tribute that would make any mother proud. Malone’s latest mixtape, The Parkway Kid, is set to drop Nov. 21. In the meantime, keep it locked to our front page for one more world premiere!
Listen to More: Muggsy Malone
Written by richard on 09/28/09
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)