Fame, fortune, and critical acclaim are all well and good, but a parent’s approval often means more than a stadium filled with screaming fans. Making its world premiere on this very site, the latest leak off Muggsy Malone‘s forthcoming, DJBooth.net-sponsored mixtape finds the DMV up-and-comer paying tribute to the one person whose opinion matters most to him: his mother, Della A. Jackson. Though she passed away in ‘91, the emcee knows that she’s watching him from above, just like a Guardian Angel. Backed by Bigg Vic‘s subdued guitar/piano-loop beat, the artist spits bars brimming with vivid detail (how many other emcees could make shoe-tying sound this interesting?), even managing to incorporate some witty wordplay (“Feelin’ like an AIDS test, better if I’m negative/ I’m hyper while I’m broke, so the cheddar’s like a sedative.”) without undercutting the track’s seriousness. Topped off with a soulful hook by Mary Brown, Guardian Angel is a heartfelt tribute that would make any mother proud. Malone’s latest mixtape, The Parkway Kid, is set to drop Nov. 21. In the meantime, keep it locked to our front page for one more world premiere!
Written by richard on 09/28/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.