Fame, fortune, and critical acclaim are all well and good, but a parent’s approval often means more than a stadium filled with screaming fans. Making its world premiere on this very site, the latest leak off Muggsy Malone‘s forthcoming, DJBooth.net-sponsored mixtape finds the DMV up-and-comer paying tribute to the one person whose opinion matters most to him: his mother, Della A. Jackson. Though she passed away in ‘91, the emcee knows that she’s watching him from above, just like a Guardian Angel. Backed by Bigg Vic‘s subdued guitar/piano-loop beat, the artist spits bars brimming with vivid detail (how many other emcees could make shoe-tying sound this interesting?), even managing to incorporate some witty wordplay (“Feelin’ like an AIDS test, better if I’m negative/ I’m hyper while I’m broke, so the cheddar’s like a sedative.”) without undercutting the track’s seriousness. Topped off with a soulful hook by Mary Brown, Guardian Angel is a heartfelt tribute that would make any mother proud. Malone’s latest mixtape, The Parkway Kid, is set to drop Nov. 21. In the meantime, keep it locked to our front page for one more world premiere!
Listen to More: Muggsy Malone
Written by richard on 09/28/09
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.