In the summer of 2002, indie rap duo Smilez and Southstar scored a Top 40 hit with Crash the Party lead single Tell Me, thanks in part to a catchy sample from Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross’ Stop Look Listen (To Your Heart). Despite several attempts to drop another album (including the BET Uncut classic Good Look), the duo were unable to escape the “one-hit wonder” stigma, a fact that ultimately led to their demise. On his latest solo single, Mr. Smilez heads out to forget his cares and simply enjoy his city’s Nite Life (being the home of Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World, and Magic basketball, the O-Town scene is one of the strongest in the nation). R&B singer Lloyd decides to stop by and join the party, contributing hook vocals and a closing verse over Dakari‘s propulsive beat. The Nite Life only gets more fun in the summertime, so look for Mr. Smilez to pick up spins galore when The Sponge drops this summer.
Written by Burmy on 04/8/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.