In the summer of 2002, indie rap duo Smilez and Southstar scored a Top 40 hit with Crash the Party lead single Tell Me, thanks in part to a catchy sample from Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross’ Stop Look Listen (To Your Heart). Despite several attempts to drop another album (including the BET Uncut classic Good Look), the duo were unable to escape the “one-hit wonder” stigma, a fact that ultimately led to their demise. On his latest solo single, Mr. Smilez heads out to forget his cares and simply enjoy his city’s Nite Life (being the home of Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World, and Magic basketball, the O-Town scene is one of the strongest in the nation). R&B singer Lloyd decides to stop by and join the party, contributing hook vocals and a closing verse over Dakari‘s propulsive beat. The Nite Life only gets more fun in the summertime, so look for Mr. Smilez to pick up spins galore when The Sponge drops this summer.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.