In the summer of 2002, indie rap duo Smilez and Southstar scored a Top 40 hit with Crash the Party lead single Tell Me, thanks in part to a catchy sample from Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross’ Stop Look Listen (To Your Heart). Despite several attempts to drop another album (including the BET Uncut classic Good Look), the duo were unable to escape the “one-hit wonder” stigma, a fact that ultimately led to their demise. On his latest solo single, Mr. Smilez heads out to forget his cares and simply enjoy his city’s Nite Life (being the home of Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World, and Magic basketball, the O-Town scene is one of the strongest in the nation). R&B singer Lloyd decides to stop by and join the party, contributing hook vocals and a closing verse over Dakari‘s propulsive beat. The Nite Life only gets more fun in the summertime, so look for Mr. Smilez to pick up spins galore when The Sponge drops this summer.
Written by Burmy on 04/8/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.