“Hip-hop has gone global,” may be a well-worn cliché in our corner of the ‘net, but it’s only grown more accurate with time—whether your tastes run to French crunk or Basque hip-hop/folk fusion, it’s a good bet you can find what you’re looking for with a quick Google search (Shadkahn and Musika Armatu Komando, if anyone’s interested). Likewise, gritty street lyricism is something that can be found in any locale; take Mr. Probz, a Netherlands-repping singer/emcee readers may remember from his hook on Tha Advocate‘s Where I Come From. On mixtape cut All Falls Down, Probz joins forces with a few stateside talents to showcase his uniquely weathered sung and rapped vocal stylings over a downbeat, tension-fraught beat by Aftermath in-house producer Focus. After the headliner spits his pensive opener, NYC emcees Grafh and Sha Stimuli jump on board to spit equally hard-hitting guest bars—the latter notably references Alex Trebek, Atari, and Jeremih in the course of one short verse. If you like what you’re hearing, be sure to grab a copy of Probz’ Sound of a Gun mixtape when it drops later this summer.
Written by richard on 06/23/09
Submit your Rating
Ultra Records/Sony Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.