“Hip-hop has gone global,” may be a well-worn cliché in our corner of the ‘net, but it’s only grown more accurate with time—whether your tastes run to French crunk or Basque hip-hop/folk fusion, it’s a good bet you can find what you’re looking for with a quick Google search (Shadkahn and Musika Armatu Komando, if anyone’s interested). Likewise, gritty street lyricism is something that can be found in any locale; take Mr. Probz, a Netherlands-repping singer/emcee readers may remember from his hook on Tha Advocate‘s Where I Come From. On mixtape cut All Falls Down, Probz joins forces with a few stateside talents to showcase his uniquely weathered sung and rapped vocal stylings over a downbeat, tension-fraught beat by Aftermath in-house producer Focus. After the headliner spits his pensive opener, NYC emcees Grafh and Sha Stimuli jump on board to spit equally hard-hitting guest bars—the latter notably references Alex Trebek, Atari, and Jeremih in the course of one short verse. If you like what you’re hearing, be sure to grab a copy of Probz’ Sound of a Gun mixtape when it drops later this summer.
Written by richard on 06/23/09
Ultra Records/Sony Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.