“Hip-hop has gone global,” may be a well-worn cliché in our corner of the ‘net, but it’s only grown more accurate with time—whether your tastes run to French crunk or Basque hip-hop/folk fusion, it’s a good bet you can find what you’re looking for with a quick Google search (Shadkahn and Musika Armatu Komando, if anyone’s interested). Likewise, gritty street lyricism is something that can be found in any locale; take Mr. Probz, a Netherlands-repping singer/emcee readers may remember from his hook on Tha Advocate‘s Where I Come From. On mixtape cut All Falls Down, Probz joins forces with a few stateside talents to showcase his uniquely weathered sung and rapped vocal stylings over a downbeat, tension-fraught beat by Aftermath in-house producer Focus. After the headliner spits his pensive opener, NYC emcees Grafh and Sha Stimuli jump on board to spit equally hard-hitting guest bars—the latter notably references Alex Trebek, Atari, and Jeremih in the course of one short verse. If you like what you’re hearing, be sure to grab a copy of Probz’ Sound of a Gun mixtape when it drops later this summer.
Written by richard on 06/23/09
Submit your Rating
Ultra Records / Sony Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.