In 1913, a man calling himself the Prophet Noble Drew Ali founded the Moorish Science Temple of America, an unorthodox Islamic sect whose primary tenets included the belief that African Americans were descended from medieval Muslim inhabitants of Morocco. With his mind on spiritual matters following his return from a recent hiatus, Mr. MFN eXquire makes the religious leader the centerpiece of his next mixtape’s lead single, a track which he has stated epitomizes the project’s tone. Over CONSTOBUZZ’ cloudy, claustrophobic production, the Crown Heights native mixes the offbeat lyricism his fans know and love with allusions to religious and political matters (including a shout-out to the late Fred Hampton). Intrigued by eXquire’s new direction? The watch our pages for more fresh singles leading up to the as yet-unscheduled release of new street album Kismet.
Written by richard on 05/8/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.