I hate to draw comparisons between artists, but I’m going to do it anyway. When I listened to Mr. J. Medeiros’ new album, Saudade, I couldn’t help but remember Rawkus’ classic days. Not so much because of the album’s specific sound, but because of the album’s spirit; it’s simultaneously dope, entertaining and artistically deep. New single, the aptly-titled Serious, showcases Medeiros’ mutli-faceted nature perfectly, beginning with a The Stare produced beat that on a piano line that bounces, but with a hint of menace. It’s a balancing act that guest artist Stro echoes with a deeply sung hook and Mr. J explores in verses that detail a relationship that’s too good for him leave, but too bad for him to stay in. (I think we’ve all been there, hell, half of you are probably there now.) There’s nothing wrong with turning your brain off and simply partying, and there’s also nothing wrong with taking the music you listen to seriously. We get plenty of the former, how about some of the latter and picking up a copy of Medeiros’ new album, Saudade, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/11/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing Without Providence" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.