I hate to draw comparisons between artists, but I’m going to do it anyway. When I listened to Mr. J. Medeiros’ new album, Saudade, I couldn’t help but remember Rawkus’ classic days. Not so much because of the album’s specific sound, but because of the album’s spirit; it’s simultaneously dope, entertaining and artistically deep. New single, the aptly-titled Serious, showcases Medeiros’ mutli-faceted nature perfectly, beginning with a The Stare produced beat that on a piano line that bounces, but with a hint of menace. It’s a balancing act that guest artist Stro echoes with a deeply sung hook and Mr. J explores in verses that detail a relationship that’s too good for him leave, but too bad for him to stay in. (I think we’ve all been there, hell, half of you are probably there now.) There’s nothing wrong with turning your brain off and simply partying, and there’s also nothing wrong with taking the music you listen to seriously. We get plenty of the former, how about some of the latter and picking up a copy of Medeiros’ new album, Saudade, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/11/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing Without Providence" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.