A photograph taken from the Voyager 1 spacecraft back in 1990 shows the vast, empty reaches of space, with the Earth as nothing but a Pale Blue Dot in the distance (See the speck a little more than halfway down the brown line? Yeah, that’s not dust on your screen). Making its world premiere right here in The DJBooth, the title track off Mr. J. Medeiros’ forthcoming EP finds the L.A. underground mainstay taking inspiration from the iconic image (by way of Carl Sagan’s famous, series-ending speech on Cosmos) as he offers listeners an astronaut’s-eye view of human affairs. Stro Elliot showcases his creativity on the production tip, crafting a beat that ping-pongs between pensive, synth-drenched verses and and a light, piano-led chorus featuring the refreshing guest vocals of Giannina Ashe. For his part, Medeiros keeps it thought-provoking as usual, echoing Sagan’s protests against intolerance and bloodshed as he comments elliptically on current events. If this reflective jam had you nodding along (whether to the beat, the message or both), you can find more fresh, lyrically-acute material on the artist’s Pale Blue Dot EP, scheduled for release this April.
Written by richard on 03/21/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing Without Providence" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.