A photograph taken from the Voyager 1 spacecraft back in 1990 shows the vast, empty reaches of space, with the Earth as nothing but a Pale Blue Dot in the distance (See the speck a little more than halfway down the brown line? Yeah, that’s not dust on your screen). Making its world premiere right here in The DJBooth, the title track off Mr. J. Medeiros’ forthcoming EP finds the L.A. underground mainstay taking inspiration from the iconic image (by way of Carl Sagan’s famous, series-ending speech on Cosmos) as he offers listeners an astronaut’s-eye view of human affairs. Stro Elliot showcases his creativity on the production tip, crafting a beat that ping-pongs between pensive, synth-drenched verses and and a light, piano-led chorus featuring the refreshing guest vocals of Giannina Ashe. For his part, Medeiros keeps it thought-provoking as usual, echoing Sagan’s protests against intolerance and bloodshed as he comments elliptically on current events. If this reflective jam had you nodding along (whether to the beat, the message or both), you can find more fresh, lyrically-acute material on the artist’s Pale Blue Dot EP, scheduled for release this April.
Written by richard on 03/21/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing Without Providence" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.