A photograph taken from the Voyager 1 spacecraft back in 1990 shows the vast, empty reaches of space, with the Earth as nothing but a Pale Blue Dot in the distance (See the speck a little more than halfway down the brown line? Yeah, that’s not dust on your screen). Making its world premiere right here in The DJBooth, the title track off Mr. J. Medeiros’ forthcoming EP finds the L.A. underground mainstay taking inspiration from the iconic image (by way of Carl Sagan’s famous, series-ending speech on Cosmos) as he offers listeners an astronaut’s-eye view of human affairs. Stro Elliot showcases his creativity on the production tip, crafting a beat that ping-pongs between pensive, synth-drenched verses and and a light, piano-led chorus featuring the refreshing guest vocals of Giannina Ashe. For his part, Medeiros keeps it thought-provoking as usual, echoing Sagan’s protests against intolerance and bloodshed as he comments elliptically on current events. If this reflective jam had you nodding along (whether to the beat, the message or both), you can find more fresh, lyrically-acute material on the artist’s Pale Blue Dot EP, scheduled for release this April.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing Without Providence" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.