A photograph taken from the Voyager 1 spacecraft back in 1990 shows the vast, empty reaches of space, with the Earth as nothing but a Pale Blue Dot in the distance (See the speck a little more than halfway down the brown line? Yeah, that’s not dust on your screen). Making its world premiere right here in The DJBooth, the title track off Mr. J. Medeiros’ forthcoming EP finds the L.A. underground mainstay taking inspiration from the iconic image (by way of Carl Sagan’s famous, series-ending speech on Cosmos) as he offers listeners an astronaut’s-eye view of human affairs. Stro Elliot showcases his creativity on the production tip, crafting a beat that ping-pongs between pensive, synth-drenched verses and and a light, piano-led chorus featuring the refreshing guest vocals of Giannina Ashe. For his part, Medeiros keeps it thought-provoking as usual, echoing Sagan’s protests against intolerance and bloodshed as he comments elliptically on current events. If this reflective jam had you nodding along (whether to the beat, the message or both), you can find more fresh, lyrically-acute material on the artist’s Pale Blue Dot EP, scheduled for release this April.
Written by richard on 03/21/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing Without Providence" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)