DJBooth newcomer Mr. J. Mederios would be Nothing Without Providence. Without the city’s delicious seafood and burgeoning art scene the rapper/producer would be at a complete loss. Wait, the L.A. based producer/rapper/singer’s speaking about providence as in the foreseeing care and guidance of god or nature over the creatures of the earth, not the Rhode Island capital? Well that makes much more sense then. True to its deeply metaphorical title, the new single is expansive in its scope, beginning with The Stare’s eclectic beat, which somehow manages to merge piano lines, distorted synths and minimal percussion into a cohesive product. On the mic Mederios more than matches the beat’s range, laying down deeply worded lines and an intensely personal chorus. You may love it, you may hate it, but I guarantee you haven’t heard anything like it before (name the last time you heard a track ending with minute long instrumental and a voicemail message). Those finding themselves intrigued by Medeiros’ unique musical vision will definitely want to check out his upcoming album Saudade, out June 14.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/27/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Neon Signs" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.