DJBooth newcomer Mr. J. Mederios would be Nothing Without Providence. Without the city’s delicious seafood and burgeoning art scene the rapper/producer would be at a complete loss. Wait, the L.A. based producer/rapper/singer’s speaking about providence as in the foreseeing care and guidance of god or nature over the creatures of the earth, not the Rhode Island capital? Well that makes much more sense then. True to its deeply metaphorical title, the new single is expansive in its scope, beginning with The Stare’s eclectic beat, which somehow manages to merge piano lines, distorted synths and minimal percussion into a cohesive product. On the mic Mederios more than matches the beat’s range, laying down deeply worded lines and an intensely personal chorus. You may love it, you may hate it, but I guarantee you haven’t heard anything like it before (name the last time you heard a track ending with minute long instrumental and a voicemail message). Those finding themselves intrigued by Medeiros’ unique musical vision will definitely want to check out his upcoming album Saudade, out June 14.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/27/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Neon Signs" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.