Though the former Lost Boyz frontman kicked his solo career off right with ‘01 smash Lights Camera, Action!, Mr. Cheeks never managed to recreate that record’s success and, aside from the odd collaboration/50 Cent diss, has been relatively quiet from the mid-00s on. Now, the NYC vet (and first-time-featuree) is getting ready to change all that with his third studio album, heralded by lead single Havin’ Fun. True to its name, this joint sees Cheeks kicking back and enjoying himself after a hard day’s work. Backed by the mellow synth boardwork of Stephen Marley, the emcee comes with some fittingly relaxed rhymes, recounting a chance encounter with a seductive female clubgoer. Though the headliner’s distinctive, drawling flow is the main attraction, guest singer Maya Azucena (previously heard on Rebel) adds to the cut’s considerable appeal, contributing a smooth, catchy hook and cooed backing vocals throughout. So, does this breezy single bode well for Cheeks’ latest full length? If you think so, stay tuned; And the Winner Is… has yet to receive a solid release date, but we’ll keep you posted!
Written by richard on 08/24/10
Submit your Rating
Ghetto Youth's International
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.